Did you know that Park County employs two Veterans Service Officers to support veterans and their families with VA benefits, health care, applications and claims, as well as other benefits earned as members of the United States Military?

Park County wants to provide the very best support for our veterans and we are eternally grateful for their service. We urge veterans who want assistance with benefits, services or claims to respond by contacting the Bailey Veterans Service Officer at 303-816-9498, or the Fairplay Veterans Service Officer at 719-836-4132.

The State of Colorado provides benefits to qualified veterans to include: hunting and fishing licenses for disabled veterans, tuition assistance, special vehicle license plates, a property tax exemption for veterans with 100 percent disability, retired military exemptions, state employment preference, and Colorado Nursing Home placement. Also, there are many local and community organizations that offer assistance to county veterans.

The following is a listing of and contacts for some of the organizations that offer assistance to veterans for their patriotic service:

VFW Post 8661 in Bailey: www.vfwpost8861.org, VFW Post 8861, P.O. 1416, Conifer CO 80433.

VFW Post 12009 in Conifer: www.vfw12009.org, VFW Post 12009, P.O. Box 1437, Conifer CO 80433.

American Legion Post 2527 in Bailey: 303-838-2698.

American Legion Post 172 in Fairplay: 719-816-2720.

Both VFW Posts offer an all-you-can-eat breakfast for anyone, VFW member or not, and many other veterans services. The Bailey Post has its breakfast the first Sunday of every month and the Conifer Post the third Sunday of every month.

Both American Legion Posts offer many programs for veterans.

Park County Senior Coalition offers programs for all seniors and special programs for veterans. The Senior Coalition Veterans Grant has emergency funding for qualified veterans in need of emergency housing assistance, utilities, transportation and food. Call 719-836-4150 for more information.

Park County Human Services offers many support programs for county residents, 303-816-5939.

Mountain Resource Center in Conifer offers a large number of support services, including: utility, energy, housing, transportation, food, firewood, employment, and health and wellness assistance to name a few. Contact Mountain Resource Center P.O. Box 425, Conifer, 303-816-9375.

We hope to highlight services and support offered at each of the above organizations in future columns.

How can you help county veterans?

• We need volunteers to transport Veterans to medical appointments, to do grocery shopping and other errands; volunteers can be reimbursed through grant money.

• We want to start a wood-cutting program to provide firewood for veterans and their families; able-bodied veterans or community members’ help is welcomed. An area where firewood could be stored and distributed from is also needed.

Contact your Veterans Service Officers for assistance or more information.

Bailey office, Platte Canyon Fire Station No. 2 (on Crow Hill) 303-816-9498.

Fairplay office, 825 Clark St., 719-834-4132.

Twice each month, the Veterans Service Officers (VSOs) of Park County will provide news, information, and updates, for veterans and their families. We thank the staff of The Flume and their Editor for providing us this opportunity.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.